Thursday, August 28, 2014

We want more than this world's got to offer. We want more than the wars of our fathers.

Well, y'all are in for a treat.  Two blogs in one week? Wow! You're lucky.


On Tuesday I got to meet with my boss.  It was pretty exciting and helped to ease my nerves.  I'm sure it's really surprising that, right out of college, I have never worked an 8-5 in an office.  WOAH. Mind blown.

A quick note about my work:

I am working with refugees that have been granted asylum in the United States.  I'll be working to help them apply for state benefits, apply for jobs,  etc.  I'm incredibly blessed to be working with people from all over this beautiful, imperfect, and often times painful world.  I'm excited to hear their stories, to learn from them, and to show them that, even though the were torn from their homes, they can find a home here and it can be beautiful. *

My workplace is full of people from many countries,  different faiths, and they speak various languages.  Not a one of them is the same and they all work in this building with a common goal of helping others.  It's a beautiful way to express all of our faiths and work for our Divine Creator (I say divine creator because it can mean many things and take on many forms.  It would be unfair to say God and leave any faith out of this).

I'm so excited to start work on Tuesday!

Now, about my community.  This is what prompted me writing this entry.

Today I caught a glimpse at why God placed me in San Antonio.  I am surrounded by roommates that are all SO different from me.  I'm probably the most conservative in the room.  Is anyone else shocked? I am.  It's uncomfortable.  It's different.  It's a little painful.  I think that this is all part of the growth that is to take place inside of me this year.  I'm going to be pushed and pulled and tested.  I'm going to spend a lot of my time talking to God because I'll get discouraged or asking for things like strength, clarity, or serenity.

I'm mentioning the above because I don't want to seem like I'm in some sort of daze, unable to realize that we're going to have issues with one another.  We will.  Lots of issues.  Lots of fights.  Lots of pain.

We're also going to have tremendous amounts of love.  Understanding on deeper levels.  Strength in our community.  I very much believe that after our community discussions today we will be standing seven strong and together at the end of these twelve months.

There is so much beauty and light in this household.  So many people willing and ready to help shoulder any burdens.  So much trust formed between people that have known each other for such a short period of time.

God knew what He was doing.  I don't know why I'm always so surprised by this, but I am.  I am blessed beyond any measure to have been able to find a community that is just as loving as the one I left in Florida.  It's hard for me to be separated by my family, but I'm so glad that I'm finding a new family in San Antonio.



*Issues with undocumented immigrants do not directly pertain to my work, so it would be appreciated if negativity over these issues stayed off of my blog and Facebook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment